Monday, January 14, 2008

New Studio Makeover, Day 1



Today I began fixing up my new work space. It's half of an old, red, barn-looking shack in the yard next to our bungalow. I gave the space a good cleaning, even reaching overhead with my broom to sweep at the spiderwebs (sorry spiders!).

One problem I'm going to have to deal with is the textured walls: plaster has been slathered onto the sheetrock as if it were frosting on a cake. While I guess this might look nice in other contexts, I've got to have flat surfaces to draw and paint on. So after cleaning all morning, I set out in search of some homasote.

Homasote is a really great material, nice and light-weight particle-board-like material, soft enough to stick tacks into, and apparently pretty earth-friendly as it's made from recycled paper. I first encountered it in college art classes, where we used it for everything from flattening out printmaking projects to making partition walls for the senior painting studio.

Well, that's not exactly what I came away from Home Depot with; they didn't know what I was talking about, but they pointed me in the direction of some lightweight insulating material made by Weyerhauser that ought to do the same thing. Of course, this was waaay too big to fit into my car, but the friendly and helpful day laborers in the parking lot helped me tie it to the roof. I've fit a surprising amount of crap in my car over the 10 years I've had it, but I think this was its first roof haul. Go Corolla!

No comments: