Friday, January 23, 2009

The Fruited Plain, Part 2


Last week, I revised and completed The Fruited Plain, at Phantom Galleries LA in downtown Long Beach. Liza, Phantom Galleries' director, asked me to write a statement explaining the work's title and what I was thinking about when I made it. Turns out, like a lot of other folks, I was thinking about politics and current events. In the spirit of recent days, here's what I wrote. Hooray for new beginnings!

***

“O' beautiful, for spacious skies,

For amber waves of grain,

For purple mountain majesties

Above the fruited plain!”
--Katherine Lee Bates, “America the Beautiful”


During this time of historic change in our nation, I am filled with hope for my future as an artist and a citizen. I was inspired by my hope to create this artwork, The Fruited Plain. Our country is a place of abundance; we are blessed with fertile soil, fertile hearts, and fertile minds. I believe that in the coming days and years we will be inspired to work together to harvest this bounty for the benefit of us all.

***
The Fruited Plain
Phantom Galleries LA
340 E. 3rd Street
Long Beach, CA
from now til ?

No comments: